Edward G. Hudson
Image by jajacks62
Co. C, 1st ILL. Light Artillery
Evening Kansan-Republican, Wednesday, Aug. 29, 1917, Pg. 4
Vol. XXXIII, No. 477
EDWARD G. HUDSON
DIED THIS MORNING
Prominent Citizen Was One
of Honored Residents
Edward G. Hudson was born March 22, 1848, and died Aug. 29, 1917.
His father, the Rev. S. E. Hudson, was one of the early ministers of the Cumberland Presbyterian church of Pennsylvania. E. G. Hudson was educated in Lincoln university at Lincoln, Ill. and practiced law in the courts of that state. He enlisted in the First Illinois artillery during the Civil war, when he was seventeen years of age. He married Miss Virginia Hackney of Fayette county, Pa., in April, 1879. Five children were born, of whom three survive, Dr. Frederick of Enid, Okla.; Dr. Harry H., first lieutenant in the medical officers’ training camp at Fort Riley, and Edgar G., of this place, who has been his father’s assistant in the management of his business affairs.
Mr. Hudson was associated with Col. A. F. Johnson and John E. Frost in the land business of the Santa Fe for twenty years.
Coming to Newton in the fall of 1900 from Lincoln, Ill., Mr. Hudson has been prominently identified with the town ever since.
At the time of his decease he was director of the First National Bank and treasurer of the Newton free library, in the welfare of which he was always interested.
He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and belonged to the local post. He was also a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Knight Templar.
He was a man of sterling worth, a kind neighbor and a loving father.
No funeral arrangements have been made as word has not been received from Dr. Harry Hudson at Fort Riley.