Hagan Hall

Hagan Hall
Virginia Lawyers
Image by dmott9
Sites of two elegant homes owned by prominent Scott Countians during the late 1800’s were chosen because of giant sulphur springs nearby. The springs were recognized for their medicinal qualities.
Years have taken their toll on the Hagan Hall mansion, built in 1860 by Patrick Hagan in the Hunter’s Valley section between Dungannon and Ft. Blackmore. Fire destroyed the majestic Rufus Ayers home, owned by the famous Southwest Virginia developer in the 1870’s.
Rev. and Mrs. Ralph Flanary, own the Hagan Hall at the present time. The high cost of heating the huge building, forced the Flanarys to move into a mobile home situated near the historic landmark.
The mansion, constructed from bricks molded and burnt on the premises, contained 17 rooms, 2 baths, and was heated by steam. Elegant furnishings consisted of an ivory piano, Persian rugs, expensive velvet drapes, and an impressive library. The original painter and paperer, Harry Smith, signed his name on the bared, plastered wall in the top, front bedroom in 1864. Patrick Hagan built the house in front of a log house built by his uncle Joseph Hagan. Additions to the original house were added some four years later.
Patrick Hagan, born in Ireland on February 2, 1828, came to America at the age of 16. He stopped at New York, Philadelphia, Norfolk, and Richmond before following his uncle Joseph into Virginia.
Patrick is said to have inherited his Uncle Joseph’s vast tracts and during his lifetime owned thousands of acres.
No record of Patrick Hagan’s inheritance from his uncle have been found in the long listings of deeds to and from the nephew and his uncle.
Patrick Hagan studied law in the office of Co!. Joseph Strass in Tazewell, Va. He began law practice in Estillville in 1854. Be was admitted to practice law in Wise County’s first county court in 1856. Patrick Hagan became known as one of the foremost land lawyers in Virginia. Through his practice, he added to his inherited wealth and invested in other coal and timber lands.
The town of Dungannon was named by Patrick Hagan after his home in Ireland. Hagan married Elizabeth Young Grubb to whom were born four sons and four daughters.
He died at 90 in 1917 and is buried in the family cemetery about 300 yards from the Hall on a little knoll. It is enclosed by a wall about 5 ft. tall, madeof rock and concrete. Steps go up and down to get inside but with a large gate at back for burial services.
Patrick Hagan’s monument has a Celtic cross on it and unusual inscriptions.


Comments are closed.