Hampden – Sydney College, in continuous operation since 10 Nov. 1755, was established "to form good men and good Citizens." It was named for John Hampden (1594 – 1643) and Algernon Sydney (1622 – 1683), champions of parliamentary rule in England. Patrick Henry and James Madison were early trustees, and President William Henry Harrison was a member of the class of 1791. Student companies were formed in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. It is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. The campus includes a distinguished collection of 19th-century buildings that were listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1969 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Department of Historic Resources 2001