Jacob M. Miller
Image by jajacks62
Asst. Surgeon, 172nd PA. Infahtry
William Cutler wrote the following about this gentleman:
DR. J. M. MILLER, physician and surgeon, located a soldier’s homestead June 27, 1871, on Section 6, Town 22, Range 4, east of sixth principal meridian, in Summit Township and resided there until October, 1881, when he removed to Peabody to resume the practice of medicine. He was born in Lancaster City, Penn., June 27, 1834, and removed with his parents to Perry County, Penn., in 1838 where he attended public school from 1839 to 1847, being usually a term of three months each winter, graduated from Airyview Academy in 1855; in the following year, 1856, began reading medicine with Dr. R. S. Brown, in Newport, Perry Co, Penn.; entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Penn., in 1857, and practiced in the meantime; graduated from that institution in March, 1861; began practice in the village of Marklesville, Penn.; and in August, 1862, was appointed Assistant Surgeon of Volunteers and assigned to duty at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Penn., to take charge of all enlisted men not fully organized into regiments. In October, 1862 he was assigned to duty as Assistant Surgeon to the One Hundred and Seventy-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. He remained with the regiment during its term of service. On the Peninsula in Virginia and in the pursuit of Lee’s army after the battle of Gettysburg until the regiment was mustered out at Harrisburg, Penn., August 1, 1863, He located in Newport, Penn., in the spring of 1864, where he practiced medicine for several years, but was obliged to retire from active practice on account of failing health, the result of injuries received in the army. He visited Florida expecting that climate to restore him to health; being disappointed in this he accepted the position of Medical Examiner for the Continental Life Insurance Company, with headquarters at Harrisburg, Penn., in 1870, which place he resigned in a few months and accepted the secretaryship of the Juniata Valley Fire Insurance Company, located at Huntingdon, Penn., where he remained until coming to Kansas. He has been twice married, first to Mary A, Bicelinem, in 1859, who was the mother of five children, only one of whom survives — George B. His first wife died in 1868 and in 1871 he married Mary E. Long.
Jacob M. Miller