James Monroe, 5th US President, 1817-1825

James Monroe, 5th US President, 1817-1825
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Tony Fischer Photography
The President during the Era of Good Feeling was James Monroe. The last of the Virginia Dynasty, he lived nearby Madison and Jefferson.

Monroe’s parents had significant land holdings but little money. Like his parents, he was a slaveholder. Born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, Monroe attended the College of William and Mary. After graduating, Monroe fought in the Continental Army, serving with distinction at the Battle of Trenton, where he was shot in his left shoulder. He is depicted holding the flag in the famous painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware. Following his war service, he practiced law in Fredericksburg, Virginia. James Monroe married Elizabeth Kortright on February 16, 1786 at the Trinity Church in New York.

Monroe was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates in 1782 and served in the Continental Congress from 1783 to 1786. As a youthful politician, he joined the anti-Federalists in the Virginia Convention which ratified the Constitution, and in 1790, was elected United States Senator.

After his term in the Senate, Monroe was appointed Minister to France from 1794 to 1796. Afterward, he returned to practicing law in Virginia until elected governor there, serving from 1799 to 1802. Under the first Jefferson administration, Monroe was dispatched to France to assist Robert R. Livingston to negotiate the Louisiana Purchase. Monroe was then appointed Minister to the Court of St. James (Britain) from 1803 to 1807.

Monroe returned to the Virginia House of Delegates and was elected to another term as governor of Virginia in 1811, but he resigned a few months into the term. He then served as Secretary of State from 1811 to 1814. When he was appointed to the post of Secretary of War in 1814, he stayed on as the Secretary of State ad interim. At the war’s end in 1815, he was again commissioned as the permanent Secretary of State, and left his position as Secretary of War. Thus from October 1, 1814 to February 28, 1815, Monroe effectively held both cabinet posts. Monroe stayed on as Secretary of State until the end of the James Madison Presidency, and the following day Monroe began his term as the new President of the United States.

His administration was marked by the acquisition of Florida (1819); the Missouri Compromise (1820), in which Missouri was declared a slave state; and the profession of the Monroe Doctrine (1823), declaring U.S. opposition to European interference in the Americas, as well as breaking all ties with France remaining from the War of 1812.

In both the presidential elections of 1816 and 1820 Monroe ran nearly unopposed. Attentive to detail, well prepared on most issues, non-partisan in spirit, and above all pragmatic, Monroe managed his presidential duties well. He made strong Cabinet choices, naming a southerner, John C. Calhoun, as Secretary of War, and a northerner, John Quincy Adams, as Secretary of State. Only Henry Clay’s refusal to accept a position kept Monroe from adding an outstanding
westerner.

James Monroe was born on April 28, 1758 and died July 4, 1831, the third president to die on the 4th…….

source: wiki
art: Mellon Collection

James Findlay Harrison

James Findlay Harrison
Virginia Union University
Image by jajacks62
11th OH. Infantry
Linn County Republic, Friday, Feb.22, 1907
Died: Feb. 14, 1907

COL. JAMES F. HARRISON,
BORN MARCH 9, 1825—DIED
FEB. 14, 1907
A Valiant Soldier a Faithful Father
and an Honored Citizen
Laid to Rest.

Col. James F. Harrison, formerly County Surveyor, and an old time citizen of Mound City, Linn County, Kansas born March 9th, 1825 in Cincinnati, Ohio, was the son of William Henry Harrison, a native of Vincennes, Indiana. His father, born Sept. 26, 1802, was the son of General William Henry Harrison, the paternal grandfather of our subject being the hero of Tippecanoe, and later President of the United States. The father, educated in Transylvania University, in Kentucky, was admitted to the Bar in Ohio in 1823. The mother, Jane Findlay Irwin, was the daughter of Archibald Irwin a prosperous farmer near Mercersburgh, Pennsylvania. On the Harrison side the family dates back to Thomas Harrison, a Major General of the Parliamentary army, and once Colonel of the Old Ironsides Regiment of Cromwell. He was one of the Judges who tried King Charles, and was the one who, by orders of Cromwell dissolved the long Parliament and arrested the Speaker. He was hung, drawn and quartered May 10th, 1660. His son, Benjamin Harrison, who emigrated to America on account of political differences with his father located in the Old Dominion, and became Clerk of the Council of Virginia. He died in the year of 1649, and left a son Benjamin; that latter was born September, 20th, 1645 in Southwork, Parish, Surrey county, Virginia, and died January 1713. His son Benjamin, born in Berkley, Virginia, and later Attorney General and Treasurer of the state, was also Speaker of the House of Burgesses, and died April 10th, 1710, aged thirty seven years.
Benjamin Harrison, also born in Berkley, and a son of the last named Sheriff of Charles City county, and in 1728 a member of the house of Burgesses died in 1774. His son Benjamin, likewise of Berkley, was a member of the House of Burgesses from1750 to 1775, and was a member of the first Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was three times Governor of Virginia and carried the popular vote of his state. His third son, William Henry Harrison, born in Berkeley, Feb. 9, 1775, afterwards became the famous General and later President of the United States. He served as Aide de Camp under Anthony Wayne and was Secretary of the North-west Territory. He was a delegate to Congress from that territory, and a brave soldier he fought at the battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 7, 1811. He was engaged at Ft. Meigs—and participated in the battle of the Thames Oct. 6, 1812. He was United States Senator from Ohio, and was Minister to Columbia. President of the United States, he expired while in office April 4, 1841.
His second son, William Henry Harrison became the father of our subject. Upon the maternal side, the family dates back to Archibald Irwin, who settled in Pennsylvania before the Revolutionary war. He was a cadet of the House of Irwin, of Bonshaw, Scotland. His son Archibald married Mary Ramsay, whose father was a younger member of the Dalhousie family of Scotland. Their daughter was Jane Findlay Irwin the mother of Col. James F. Harrison.
The parents after their marriage settled in Cincinnati, Ohio where the father practiced law, and later died in his fathers house at North Bend. The father and mother were blessed with two children, James F. and William Henry. The later, born May 5th, 1828 died in Mexico in April 1849.
Our subject who was educated in Cincinnati College, entered West Point Military Academy in 1841 and graduated in 1845. General Fitz John Porter was in the same class. Colonel Harrison later resigned from the Academy, but when the war broke out with Mexico, volunteered in the First Ohio Infantry. He was Adjutant of the same when only twenty one years of age, and served with distinction under Colonel Alexander M. Mitchell. Our subject remained with his regiment, actually engaged all through the war, he was under the command of General Taylor until discharged in June 1847, and participated in numerous hot skirmishes with the Mexican Cavalry.
Our subject became an inmate of the White House at Washington D. C., during the incumbency of President W. H. Harrison and was at his bedside when that veteran soldier and statesman entered into rest, mourned by all loyal citizens as a national loss. This was prior to his going to West Point. After his return from the Mexican war, Colonel Harrison entered into the study of law, and later admitted to the Bar of Indiana, practiced there for a few years. He resided in Dayton, Ohio from 1854 until 1864, and enlisted in the three months service in the Civil war being Colonel of the 11th Ohio Infantry. During the Chickamauga Campaign he was Aide de Camp and Chief of Staff to General W. H. Lytle, and was covered by the life blood of the General when he was killed in September 1863. The friendship between our subject and the General was very strong; their fathers also had been friends, tried and true, as has likewise been their grandfathers. For a short time Colonel Harrison served on the staff of General P. H. Sheridan, but after the sad demise of General Lytle, resigned from the army.
During the last call of President Lincoln, our subject re-enlisted as a private in the First Ohio Cavalry, and was transferred as Lieutenant to the One hundred and eighty-fifth Ohio Infantry. Later, as captain of the One hundred and eighty-seventh Ohio he went to Georgia and remained until the close of the war. During the Squirrel Hunter Campaign in Ohio, our subject was the recipient of the following order September 12, 1862: “Colonel Harrison, First Regiment State Militia, has been placed in charge of the defense of the Ohio River west of Cincinnati to the Indiana line. He will be obeyed and respected accordingly. By the order of Major General Lew Wallace and Major M. McDowell, A. D. C.
Our subject served through the campaign and was discharged by order of David Tod, Governor of Ohio. Col. Harrison raised a company in Dayton, Ohio in a half hour and was placed in command of a regiment. The same day he was given charge of a brigade, being then engaged two weeks in the service of the government. In 1866 Colonel Harrison settled in Linn county, where for many years he was county surveyor and one of the most popular men of his locality.
In the year 1848 James F. Harrison and Miss Caroline M. Alston of South Carolina were united in marriage. This estimable lady died in the spring of 1863, and the three children of the union are now deceased. Our subject again wedded in December, 1864 to Miss Alice Kennedy, a native of Mississippi and a daughter of John Kennedy formerly of Belfast, Ireland, but originally a Scotch merchant, removing to Belfast in mature life. Unto this second union were born six children, five of whom are now living: John Rudolph, James Findley, Jr., and Archie Irvin. Col. Harrison was a member of the Episcopal church, fraternally associated with Montgomery Post No. 38, G. A. R. of Mound City which had charge of the burial services at Mound City where he was laid to rest; he was likewise a member of the Veterans Association of the Mexican War.
Politically, our subject was a Douglas Democrat and had been a slave holder, but the first shot fired at Sumpter changed him, and killed his democracy for all time to come. The relationship between Col. Harrison and Ex-President Benj. Harrison was that of cousins, theirs being relationship on both the fathers and mothers side. The descendent of honored ancestry and himself personally faithful to all his obligations as a man and citizen, Colonel Harrison won a high place in the regard of a wide acquaintance and throughout Linn county, was esteemed as a man of fine attainments, superior ability and sterling integrity of character.
He passed away peacefully at 10 a. m., February 14 surrounded by his entire family, the funeral service taking place at his residence at 3 o’clock Saturday afternoon, interred under the auspices of the G. A. R., and laid to rest in the Mound City cemetery, the Rev. E. N. Gause preaching the funeral sermon.
The pall-bearers were: Major E. M. Adams, Captain O. E. Morse, S. Dillon Moore, J. H. Maden, H. H. Woy and J. J. Hawkins; all being members of Montgomery Post No. 38, G. A. R. Pleasanton and LaCygne G. A. R. Posts were there and a large number of friends and relatives.
______

CARD OF THANKS.
We desire to extend our sincere thanks to our many friends and Montgomery Post No. 38, G. A. R. for their sympathy and kindness through the illness and death of our beloved husband and father James Findley Harrison.

MRS. ALICE HARRISON AND FAMILY.

Dr. James Jackson Preaching ‘When Life Deals You a Messed Up Hand'(SPADES)

Dr. James Anthony Jackson, a native of Mobile, Alabama, is the second of four children to Dr. Michael and Barbara Jackson. He accepted Jesus as his personal savior and was baptized at the age of seven at the Aimwell Missionary Baptist Church under the pastorate of his father, Dr. Michael Jackson, D.Min. At Aimwell, he served in the choir, Sunday school, and the Baptist Training Union. Pastor Jackson was educated in the Mobile County Public School System where he was a 1991 graduate of John L. Leflore High School. In 1994, he transferred from Bishop State Junior College to the historic Tuskegee University. It was there, at age 20, that he received his calling to the ministry. While at Tuskegee, Pastor Jackson served as an Associate Minister at the Mt. Olive Baptist Church under the leadership of Pastor John Curry. In 1997 he graduated from that institution acquiring his Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. Pastor Jackson wasted no time, for he enrolled at the Samuel Dewitt Proctor School of Theology of Virginia Union University, in Richmond, Virginia. During his time in Virginia, Pastor Jackson served as an intern at the Trinity Baptist Church under the leadership of Dr. A. Lincoln James, Jr. He also served as an assistant to Rev. Sheridon Nelson who was the Director of Youth and Young Adults of the Baptist General Convention of Virginia. Also during his time in Virginia, Pastor Jackson had the privilege to spend one month studying and preaching in Ghana
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center: Space Shuttle Enterprise in the James McDonnell Space Hangar

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center: Space Shuttle Enterprise in the James McDonnell Space Hangar
Virginia Network
Image by Chris Devers
See more photos of this, and the Wikipedia article.

Details, quoting from Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum | Space Shuttle Enterprise:

Manufacturer:
Rockwell International Corporation

Country of Origin:
United States of America

Dimensions:
Overall: 57 ft. tall x 122 ft. long x 78 ft. wing span, 150,000 lb.
(1737.36 x 3718.57 x 2377.44cm, 68039.6kg)

Materials:
Aluminum airframe and body with some fiberglass features; payload bay doors are graphite epoxy composite; thermal tiles are simulated (polyurethane foam) except for test samples of actual tiles and thermal blankets.

The first Space Shuttle orbiter, "Enterprise," is a full-scale test vehicle used for flights in the atmosphere and tests on the ground; it is not equipped for spaceflight. Although the airframe and flight control elements are like those of the Shuttles flown in space, this vehicle has no propulsion system and only simulated thermal tiles because these features were not needed for atmospheric and ground tests. "Enterprise" was rolled out at Rockwell International’s assembly facility in Palmdale, California, in 1976. In 1977, it entered service for a nine-month-long approach-and-landing test flight program. Thereafter it was used for vibration tests and fit checks at NASA centers, and it also appeared in the 1983 Paris Air Show and the 1984 World’s Fair in New Orleans. In 1985, NASA transferred "Enterprise" to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum.

Transferred from National Aeronautics and Space Administration

• • •

Quoting from Wikipedia | Space Shuttle Enterprise:

The Space Shuttle Enterprise (NASA Orbiter Vehicle Designation: OV-101) was the first Space Shuttle orbiter. It was built for NASA as part of the Space Shuttle program to perform test flights in the atmosphere. It was constructed without engines or a functional heat shield, and was therefore not capable of spaceflight.

Originally, Enterprise had been intended to be refitted for orbital flight, which would have made it the second space shuttle to fly after Columbia. However, during the construction of Columbia, details of the final design changed, particularly with regard to the weight of the fuselage and wings. Refitting Enterprise for spaceflight would have involved dismantling the orbiter and returning the sections to subcontractors across the country. As this was an expensive proposition, it was determined to be less costly to build Challenger around a body frame (STA-099) that had been created as a test article. Similarly, Enterprise was considered for refit to replace Challenger after the latter was destroyed, but Endeavour was built from structural spares instead.

Service

Construction began on the first orbiter on June 4, 1974. Designated OV-101, it was originally planned to be named Constitution and unveiled on Constitution Day, September 17, 1976. A write-in campaign by Trekkies to President Gerald Ford asked that the orbiter be named after the Starship Enterprise, featured on the television show Star Trek. Although Ford did not mention the campaign, the president—who during World War II had served on the aircraft carrier USS Monterey (CVL-26) that served with USS Enterprise (CV-6)—said that he was "partial to the name" and overrode NASA officials.

The design of OV-101 was not the same as that planned for OV-102, the first flight model; the tail was constructed differently, and it did not have the interfaces to mount OMS pods. A large number of subsystems—ranging from main engines to radar equipment—were not installed on this vehicle, but the capacity to add them in the future was retained. Instead of a thermal protection system, its surface was primarily fiberglass.

In mid-1976, the orbiter was used for ground vibration tests, allowing engineers to compare data from an actual flight vehicle with theoretical models.

On September 17, 1976, Enterprise was rolled out of Rockwell’s plant at Palmdale, California. In recognition of its fictional namesake, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and most of the principal cast of the original series of Star Trek were on hand at the dedication ceremony.

Approach and landing tests (ALT)

Main article: Approach and Landing Tests

On January 31, 1977, it was taken by road to Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, to begin operational testing.

While at NASA Dryden, Enterprise was used by NASA for a variety of ground and flight tests intended to validate aspects of the shuttle program. The initial nine-month testing period was referred to by the acronym ALT, for "Approach and Landing Test". These tests included a maiden "flight" on February 18, 1977 atop a Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) to measure structural loads and ground handling and braking characteristics of the mated system. Ground tests of all orbiter subsystems were carried out to verify functionality prior to atmospheric flight.

The mated Enterprise/SCA combination was then subjected to five test flights with Enterprise unmanned and unactivated. The purpose of these test flights was to measure the flight characteristics of the mated combination. These tests were followed with three test flights with Enterprise manned to test the shuttle flight control systems.

Enterprise underwent five free flights where the craft separated from the SCA and was landed under astronaut control. These tests verified the flight characteristics of the orbiter design and were carried out under several aerodynamic and weight configurations. On the fifth and final glider flight, pilot-induced oscillation problems were revealed, which had to be addressed before the first orbital launch occurred.

On August 12, 1977, the space shuttle Enterprise flew on its own for the first time.

Preparation for STS-1

Following the ALT program, Enterprise was ferried among several NASA facilities to configure the craft for vibration testing. In June 1979, it was mated with an external tank and solid rocket boosters (known as a boilerplate configuration) and tested in a launch configuration at Kennedy Space Center Launch Pad 39A.

Retirement

With the completion of critical testing, Enterprise was partially disassembled to allow certain components to be reused in other shuttles, then underwent an international tour visiting France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the U.S. states of California, Alabama, and Louisiana (during the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition). It was also used to fit-check the never-used shuttle launch pad at Vandenberg AFB, California. Finally, on November 18, 1985, Enterprise was ferried to Washington, D.C., where it became property of the Smithsonian Institution.

Post-Challenger

After the Challenger disaster, NASA considered using Enterprise as a replacement. However refitting the shuttle with all of the necessary equipment needed for it to be used in space was considered, but instead it was decided to use spares constructed at the same time as Discovery and Atlantis to build Endeavour.

Post-Columbia

In 2003, after the breakup of Columbia during re-entry, the Columbia Accident Investigation Board conducted tests at Southwest Research Institute, which used an air gun to shoot foam blocks of similar size, mass and speed to that which struck Columbia at a test structure which mechanically replicated the orbiter wing leading edge. They removed a fiberglass panel from Enterprise’s wing to perform analysis of the material and attached it to the test structure, then shot a foam block at it. While the panel was not broken as a result of the test, the impact was enough to permanently deform a seal. As the reinforced carbon-carbon (RCC) panel on Columbia was 2.5 times weaker, this suggested that the RCC leading edge would have been shattered. Additional tests on the fiberglass were canceled in order not to risk damaging the test apparatus, and a panel from Discovery was tested to determine the effects of the foam on a similarly-aged RCC leading edge. On July 7, 2003, a foam impact test created a hole 41 cm by 42.5 cm (16.1 inches by 16.7 inches) in the protective RCC panel. The tests clearly demonstrated that a foam impact of the type Columbia sustained could seriously breach the protective RCC panels on the wing leading edge.

The board determined that the probable cause of the accident was that the foam impact caused a breach of a reinforced carbon-carbon panel along the leading edge of Columbia’s left wing, allowing hot gases generated during re-entry to enter the wing and cause structural collapse. This caused Columbia to spin out of control, breaking up with the loss of the entire crew.

Museum exhibit

Enterprise was stored at the Smithsonian’s hangar at Washington Dulles International Airport before it was restored and moved to the newly built Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum‘s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport, where it has been the centerpiece of the space collection. On April 12, 2011, NASA announced that Space Shuttle Discovery, the most traveled orbiter in the fleet, will be added to the collection once the Shuttle fleet is retired. When that happens, Enterprise will be moved to the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York City, to a newly constructed hangar adjacent to the museum. In preparation for the anticipated relocation, engineers evaluated the vehicle in early 2010 and determined that it was safe to fly on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft once again.

James M. Allen

James M. Allen
Virginia Lawyers
Image by jajacks62
Co. K, 16th IND. Infantry
The Chanute Daily Tribune, Monday, Dec. 2, 1912
Died: Dec. 1, 1912
Buried in East Hill Cemetery, Erie, Neosho County, KS.

JAMES M.
ALLEN DEAD
_____
INJURIES BY FALL FROM BUGGY
PROVED FATAL.
______
HE HAD LIVED IN
COUNTY 47 YEARS
______
GAVE UP COLLEGE TO FIGHT
FOR THE UNION.
______
He Saw Four Years’ Service in the
Civil War, Being Held a Prisoner
in Texas Nearly Six Months—
In Chanute Thirteen
Years.
______

James M. Allen, for more than forty-seven years a resident of Neosho county, died at his home, 401 South Lincoln avenue, at 11 o’clock last night. His death was the direct result of injuries which he received when he fell from a buggy Thursday of last week—Thanksgiving day.
He alighted upon his head, the blow producing concussion of the brain and a fracture of the spine. These injuries, in connection with his health, which had not been robust for three or four years, soon terminated fatally.
At the time of the accident Mr. Allen was returning from an inspection of the rock road being constructed south of the city. The horse behind which he was riding became frightened. It kicked and backed and was starting to run when Mr. Allen jumped from the buggy.
A telegram is expected from the son, Clay Allen, in Seattle, Wash., and if he cannot come the funeral will be tomorrow. A short service will be held at the home and the body will be taken on the afternoon train to Erie for interment. The Santa Fe railroad has expressed its willingness to hold the train returning from Erie, in case there should be any delay in the funeral, so that all will be able to return to Chanute that evening.
Mr. Allen was born January 31, 1842, in Putnam county, near Greencastle, Ind. In September, 1860, he entered Asbury university, now De Pauw university, which institution he attended until the following April, when he, together with a number of other students of the university, enlisted in Company K, Sixteenth Indiana volunteer infantry, for one year. He was mustered out at Washington, D. C., in June 1862.
His regiment was reorganized an he re-enlisted and was mustered in as a sergeant, August 16, 1862. He was commissioned second lieutenant in July, 1863.
While taking passage down the Red river on the river boat “City Belle,” he was taken prisoner, May 1, 1864, by the Confederate forces at Snaggy Point, and was, by them, taken to Tyler, Tex. October 20 of the same year, under the name of Andrew H. Patrick, a fellow prisoner who had previously escaped, he was exchanged and returned to his regiment, where he was commissioned first lieutenant in May and served until the end of the war, July 1865. He was discharged with his regiment at Indianapolis.
September 27, 1865, he moved to Kansas and settled on a claim in what is now Neosho county. August 27, 1867, he married Eva Foster at Baldwin, Kas. Thereafter they continued to make their home on the farm until November, 1883, when they moved to Erie, Kas., together with his nephew, Will T. Allen, organized the private banking firm under the name of Allen & Allen. In this business he continued for sixteen years, at the expiration of which time he disposed of his interest in the bank and with his family moved to Chanute, where he had made his home ever since.
He is survived by his wife, Eva Foster Allen and four children, I. Foster Allen of Chanute, Miss Ada Allen of Chanute, Mrs. T. L. Rosebush of Tecumseh, Okla., and Clay Allen of Seattle, Wash. Another son Harry the first born, died in infancy, at the age of 4 years.
His three surviving brothers are A. P. Allen of Erie, H. C. Allen, who many years ago made his home in this city, but now resides in Indianapolis, Ind. And R. N. Allen of this city.
He had held a number of positions of public trust, and was a member, at the time of his death, of the Tioga township road commission, road improvement being a matter in which he was much interested.
He was a member of the state legislature in 1873, defeating C. F. Hutchings, now of Kansas City, Kas. While in the body he gave warm support to the bill, which is now law, making taxes payable semi-annually instead of only once a year, as formerly.
In 1867 he was a member of the board of county commissioners, and was re-elected in 1871, being chairman of the board his second term.
He was appointed chief of police by Mayor D. M. Kennedy in 1903, serving a year or more.

Portrait and Biographical Record of Southeastern Kansas, pg 243 & 244

Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co.

1894.

J. M. ALLEN is the senior member of the firm of Allen & Allen, bankers of Erie, and is a worthy representative of the business interests of this place. A native of Indiana, he was born in Putnam County, January 31, 1842, and is a son of R. N. and Elizabeth (Talbott) Allen. The father was born in Virginia, and about 1827 emigrated to Putnam County, Ind., where he entered land from the Government. He made the trip in company with William Talbott, the father of his intended wife. There he opened up a farm, transforming the wild land into rich and fertile fields. Devoting his energies to its cultivation until 1865, he then removed to Bloomington, Ind., where he died on the 12th of October, 1876. His wife passed away in 1860. While in Indiana he served as Associate Judge of Putnam County. He held membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church. The maternal great-great-grandfather of our subject was one of the heroes of the Revolution.
J. M. Allen belongs to a family of eleven children, eight of whom grew to mature years, while four sons and two daughters are yet living, all of who graduated at De Pauw University. The sons are: A. P., residing in this county; R. N., who is President of the First National Bank of Chanute, Kan.; H. C., a prominent lawyer of Indianapolis, Ind., who is now serving as attorney for the street railroad company and an insurance company; and our subject.
Mr. Allen whose name heads this record attended the public schools of Putnam County, Ind., and then spent one year in De Pauw University, where we find him at the breaking out of the war, in April, 1861. He immediately left the schoolroom, and when Lincoln issued the first call for troops he joined Company K, Sixteenth Indiana Infantry. He became First Lieutenant, and was mustered out July 20, 1865. At Snaggy Point, on the Red River, he was taken prisoner May 1, 1864, and was incarcerated for five months and twenty days at Tyler, Tex. He was wounded at the battle of Arkansas Post, and again at Vicksburg. He participated in the entire siege of that city, and was also in many other hotly contested engagements.
After the war, Mr. Allen removed to this county and entered from the Government one hundred and sixty acres of land in Erie Township. He afterward purchased eighty acres and began the development of his farm, the boundaries of which he extended from time to time until he had seven hundred acres. This he sold in 1883. He was married in Baldwin, Kan., August 27, 1867, to Miss Eva, daughter of Henry Foster, of Putnam County, Ind. They began their domestic life upon the farm where they lived until 1883, when they came to Erie.
Mr. Allen is numbered among the pioneers of Neosho County, which was very sparsely settled by white people at the time of his arrival, and Indians still lived in the neighborhood. He has seen as many as twenty-two deer from his cabin door at one time. On coming to Erie in 1883, he formed a partnership with his nephew, W. T. Allen, in the banking business, in which he has since continued. It has become one of the leading financial institutions of the county, business being conducted on a safe and conservative basis. He has led a busy and useful life, yet has found time to serve in public office. In 1867 he was elected County Commissioner for a two-years term, then was re-elected, and served as Chairman of the Board during the time of the trouble concerning the county seat. In the fall of 1873 he was elected to the State Legislature upon the Republican ticket, being a stanch advocate of Republican principles until 1877, at which time he espoused what was known as the Greenback cause. In 1878 he was a candidate for State Senator, but was defeated by one hundred and forty-four votes. Socially, he is a member of Erie Post No. 311, G. A. R., which he joined at its organization, and in 1892 was elected as a delegate to the National Encampment in Washington. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Modern Woodmen, and holds membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Allen were born four children, two sons and two daughters: J. F., who is serving as book-keeper in the bank in Erie; Clay, who has just been appointed a cadet at West Point; Sue and Ada, who are at home. The family is widely and favorably known in the county, its members holding an enviable position in social circles. Mr. Allen has borne all the experiences of frontier life in this locality, and is familiar with the history of its troublous times. On the side of right and order he has ever been found, and his hearty support and co-operation have ever been given to those enterprises tending to advance the best interests of the community.

Letter from William Preston Johnston to James Longstreet

Letter from William Preston Johnston to James Longstreet
Virginia Software
Image by Special Collections at Wofford College
Title: Letter from William Preston Johnston to James Longstreet
Date Original: 1865-02-20
Description: Creator was son of (Confederate) General
Albert Sidney Johnston and was a colonel in the Confederate Army. In this letter,
Johnston explains to Longstreet that he has been defending the latter against
attacks which blame him for the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg.
Reads in full:
"My Dear Sir, Your reply of the 18th instant to my note of the 15th has been received. I confess I was disappointed in its tenor. Before a reply was sent to the letter of the Hon. Mr Lewis to the President alluded to in my note of the 15th, it was deemed proper and indeed due to you to inform you of the allegation made on your authority. It had to be denounced as a slander and respect for you made it desirable before that step was taken, that your name should be disconnected from the statement by your own disavowed.
I regret that you should have misunderstood my motive in writing to you and hope that this explanation will be considered sufficient. Very fondly and respty yours, [signed] Wm Preston Johnston"

Creator: Johnston, William Preston, 1831-1899.
Subject(s): Johnston, William Preston, 1831-1899.
Longstreet, James, 1821-1904
Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
Richmond (Va.)
Alternative Title: 080218-05
Publisher: Wofford College
Contributor:
Date Digital: 2008-09-03
Type: Text
Format [medium]: Manuscript
Format [IMT]: image/jpeg
Digitization Specifications: 800ppi 24-bit depth color; Scanned with
an Epson 15000 Photo scanner with Epson Scan software; Archival master is a
TIFF; Original converted to JPEG with Irfan View software.
Resource Identifier: 080218-05
Source: The original, accession number 080218-05, from which
this digital representation is taken is housed in The
Littlejohn Collection
at Wofford College,
located in the Sandor Teszler Library.
Language:En-us English
Relation [is part of]:The
Littlejohn Collection

Rights Management: This digital representation has been
licensed under an Attribution
– Noncommercial- No Derivatives Creative Commons license
.

Contributing Institution: Wofford College
Web Site: http://www.wofford.edu/library/littlejohn-home.aspx

Signs of Traumatic Brain Concussion -Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer James Parrish

www.virginiapersonalinjuryblog.com James Parrish of The Parrish Law Firm in Fairfax, Prince William, and Fauquier Counties explains the various symptoms that can occur after a traumatic brain concussion injury.

520 St. James Street

520 St. James Street
Virginia Union University
Image by VCU Libraries

Address/Title: 520 St. James Street

Photographer: Zehmer, John G. (John Granderson), 1942-

Original Description (from Book): An Italianate brick house in a generally well-preserved state, this was the home of Dr. J. E. Jones, a professor at Virginia Union University in the late nineteenth century.

City/Location: Richmond (Va.)

Date of photograph: ca. 1978

Map URL: maps.google.com/maps?q=37.54745,+-77.44004+(520%20St.%20J…

Original Publication: Zehmer, John G., and Robert P. Winthrop. 1978. The Jackson Ward historic district. Richmond: Dept. of Planning and Community Development.

Rights: www.library.vcu.edu/copyright.html

Reference URL: dig.library.vcu.edu/u?/jwh,620

Collection: VCU Jackson Ward Historic District

C. James Williams III – Personal Injury Lawyer Midlothian VA

Jim Williams joined Burnett & Williams in 2006 and operates out of Midlothian and Hopewell, Virginia. Jim has extensive legal experience, both as a plaintiff and defense attorney. His experience as a trial attorney with a large insurance company gives him tremendous expertise in the complexities of Virginia insurance law, which is perhaps the most difficult area of law encountered by personal injury lawyers. Jim began his legal career with a prestigious assignment as a law clerk to a federal trial judge in Roanoke, Virginia. Since then he has had many notable victories, including the leading Virginia Supreme Court decision concerning the admissibility of scientific evidence and a notable decision concerning the law of negligence per se.