James L. Kemper Residence–Entrance
Image by Universal Pops
The James L. Kemper house (circa 1852) in Madison Virginia, is a wood frame Greek Revival structure, painted white with dark green shutters. There are two stories above a raised basement. The hipped roof is of seam metal. A center porch on the first story consists of Ionic columns, which support a roof and balustrade. The metal railing on the steps is a modern convenience. The windows are 6 over 6 with flat lintels and window surrounds with corner blocks. The doorway is derived from the American architect, Asher Benjamin; it has a continuous, segmented transom and sidelights. Chimneys are at both ends and are of prominent size. Several outbuildings are on the site. Today the building is the Health Department of Madison County.
James Lawson Kemper (1823-1895), a native of Madison and a lawyer served in the Confederate army as a major-general, ultimately being wounded at Gettysburg. He later (1874-1877) became governor of Virginia. Upon retirement from public life, he sold the home in 1881 and moved to Orange County, Virginia where he died.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License