Question by : Need help with American History, lost my book :(?
1. Which of the following statements about the provisions of the Compromise of 1850 is true?
A. The slave trade was abolished in the District of Columbia.
B. The New Mexico Territory was absorbed into Texas.
C. The principle of popular sovereignty was abandoned.
D. Fugitive slaves were denied any and all constitutional rights.
2. In the later phases of the Civil War, General __________, running for president against Lincoln, declared that he would not make emancipation a condition of reconstruction.
3. Which of the following was true of the Know-Nothing party?
A. It gained the widespread support of new immigrants.
B. It focused on containing the expansion of slavery.
C. It wanted to undermine immigrant voting strength.
D. It rejected nativism.
4. Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is associated with Menlo Park in New Jersey?
A. Alexander Graham Bell
B. Gustavus F. Swift
C. Thomas Alva Edison
D. Cyrus W. Field
5. Which of the following is associated with the development of chain stores?
A. Marshall Field
B. R. H. Macy
C. F. W. Woolworth
D. John Wanamaker
6. In 1866, the Sioux Chief Red Cloud ambushed and massacred Union soldiers in an incident that would be referred to as the _______ Massacre.
A. Little Big Horn
C. Wounded Knee
7. As ratified in 1870, the _______ Amendment prohibited any state from denying the vote to any male citizen on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
8. Which of the following statements about President Andrew Johnson is true?
A. He defended the planter aristocracy.
B. He was impeached and forced from office.
C. He was well educated, but he was a poor stump speaker.
D. He was raised under conditions of extreme poverty.
9. In 1876, the first separate graduate school was established
A. at Johns Hopkins University.
B. at Radcliffe.
C. at Harvard by Charles W. Eliot.
D. by the Morrill Land Grant Act.
10. In the new cities of the 1800s, streetcars were to the suburbs and residential neighborhoods as glass and steel were to
C. palatial mansions of the rich.
D. railroad stations.
11. At the outset of the secessionist movement in the South, which state defeated the cooperationist argument that the South should act as a unit?
A. South Carolina
12. Which of the following labor activists founded the American Federation of Labor?
A. William Sylvis
B. Terence Powderly
C. Uriah Stephens
D. Samuel Gompers
13. In the Battle of _______, a disastrous charge against forces holding Cemetery Ridge led to Confederate defeat.
C. Cold Harbor
14. Which country lawyer from Ashtabula, Ohio, argued that criminals are not born, but are made by the unjust condition of human life?
A. Washington Gladden
B. William Graham Sumner
C. Clarence Darrow
D. Herbert Spencer
15. In the election of 1860, the _______ won the electoral votes of all the free states, except a fraction of the New Jersey votes.
C. Constitutional Union Party
16. If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the social problems associated with alcohol, you would have been especially sympathetic to the
A. evangelical efforts of Dwight L. Moody.
B. Comstock Law.
17. The Wade-Davis Bill passed by Congress, then vetoed by Lincoln, stipulated that _______ percent of voters in a Confederate state must take an oath of future loyalty to the Union before a process of restoration could begin.
18. The richest discovery in the history of mining occurred in 1873. This so-called “Big Bonanza” made _______ the richest man in the world.
A. Henry Sutter
B. Henry Comstock
C. John Placer
D. John Mackay
19. Which of the following noted American authors wrote works that supported slavery?
A. Ralph Waldo Emerson
B. Henry David Thoreau
C. Edgar Allan Poe
D. Harriet Beecher Stowe
20. The Wilmot Proviso was a proposed amendment to a military appropriations bill that would
A. establish slavery in the territories acquired from Mexico.
B. regulate competition between free and slave states.
C. ban slavery in territories acquired from Mexico.
D. permit the slavery issue to be determined by popular sovereignty.
(please note that i am not trying to cheat, theses are 20 questions out of 150 that i am stuck on)
Answer by LK
These are incredibly easy.
Sorry. You can call someone in your class to help, right ?
Doubt anyone here will.
Did you know this is the Books and Authors category?
Add your own answer in the comments!