Virginia – Arlington National Cemetery: Battle of the Bulge and Spanish American War Nurses Memorials
Image by wallyg
The Battle of the Bulge Memorial (near), a gift from the grateful people of the United Kingdom of Belgium and Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, was dedicated on December 16, 1986. Known to the public as the Battle of the Bulge, the Ardennes Offensive, or Ardennes-Alsace campaign, officially called the Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (Operation The Guard on the Rhine) by the German Wehrmacht, was a major German offensive through the forested Ardennes Mountains region of Belgium, France and Luxembourg on the Western front. The Germans had Lasting from December 16, 1944 to January 25, 1945, the Germans were turned away as survivors retreated to the defenses of the Siegried Line. With over 800,000 men committed and over 19,000 killed, the Battle of the Bulge became the single biggest and bloodiest battle that American forces experienced in World War II.
The Spanish American War Nurses Memorial (far) was erected by The Society of Spanish American War Nurses to those brave nurses who died during that war, many of whom are buried in Section 21 of Arlington National Cemetery. The Maltese cross, which serves as the insignia of the Society, rests atop a large granite megalith dedicated to the memory of their "brave comrade."
Arlington National Cemetery, a military cemetery directly across the Potomac from Washington, D.c., was established during the Civil War on the grounds of the Arlington House, formerly the estate of the family of Robert E. Lee’s wife Mary Anna (Custis) Lee, a descendant of Martha Washington. By 1864, the military cemeteries of Washington and Alexandria were filled with Union dead. After Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs quickly selected Arlington as a replacement, in part to prevent the Lee’s from ever returning, the government confiscated the land claiming unpaid property taxes. Today, more than 300,000 people, including veterans and military casualties from every one of the nation’s wars, are interred in the 624-acre cemetery administered by the Department of the Navy.