‘Western’ Washington, D.C.(1)
Image by cizauskas
The original western border of the District of Columbia, positoned by surveyor Andrew Ellicott in 1792.
In Andrew Ellicott Park, 2824 North Arizona Street, Arlington, Virginia, at the confluence of Arlington County, Falls Church City, and Fairfax County.
By an act of Congress on July 9, 1846, and with the approval of the Virginia General Assembly, the 39 square mile area south of the Potomac River was returned, or retroceded, to Virginia effective in 1847.
Photo taken 15 November 2009.