Annandale – Presidents Day Snowstorm

Annandale – Presidents Day Snowstorm
Virginia Network
Image by roger4336
The "Presidents Day snowstorm" came on the night of Sunday/Monday, February 18/19, 1979. There was 19 inches (about 60 cm) of snow. This was the scene on Wedneday, February 21, probably in the early afternoon. Random Court had not yet been plowed, more than two days after the snow ended. The network of "tunnels" across Random Court and the circle was extended.

Offices were were closed at least through Wednesday. When the street was plowed, much of the snow was pushed against my driveway, and I had to shovel that away. The layout of the circle meant that usually happened.

The Presidents Day snowstorm is the third largest on record in Washington. It was exceeded by the "Kickerbocker snowstorm" in January 1922 (26-28 inches, depending on source) and a snowstorm in February 1899 (18-20 inches). A later snowstorm in February 2010 was 18 inches at Washington National Airport, the official weather station, but larger amounts fell at other area locations. That was long after I had moved away.

My 1973 Volkswagen is in the driveway, and Eileen’s AMC Gremlin is in the carport.

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Shown here is an image from the Presidents of the College of William & Mary exhibit series located on the third floor of Swem Library just outside the Brown Board Room. The exhibit provides a history of the College as seen through the eyes of its presidents. This exhibit case features the presidencies of William Yates, James Horrocks, John Camm, and Bishop James Madison, and will be on display from March 28, 2012 through October 2, 2012.

The following is taken from the label text presented in this case:

This exhibit is part of a continuing series about the presidents of the College of William & Mary. The items selected here are from the Special Collections Research Center. The Center’s University Archives contains records from a number of William & Mary presidents.

For more information about the Office of the President records in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/classifications&…

William Yates, 1760-1764

William Yates, an alumnus and former master of the Grammar School at the College of William & Mary, became its fifth president after the death of Thomas Dawson. During Yates’s tenure, the board of visitors tried and failed to limit the power of the church in college affairs by appointing laymen as chancellors. Yates started his presidency with only two faculty members, and the board desperately sought to hire faculty that would be loyal to their cause. Yates agreed with most of the board’s decisions, and when he died in 1764, the board lost a valuable ally in their quest to limit the influence of the clergy at William & Mary.

For more information about William Yates, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Yates

James Horrocks, 1764-1771

James Horrocks, the youngest member of the faculty and master of the Grammar School, became the sixth president of William & Mary upon the death of William Yates. During Horrocks’s early tenure, from 1764-1768, the struggle for control of the college between the faculty and the board of visitors continued. A delicate balance was eventually reached, with the faculty being able to retain their dual appointments as professors and clergy, while the board was left in control of the college’s finances. When Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt, arrived in 1768 as governor of Virginia, William & Mary finally achieved a harmonious relationship with the local government. Lord Botetourt helped to obtain funding for necessary repairs to campus buildings and provided an endowment for student achievement awards. Today, the Botetourt medal is awarded annually to an undergraduate student for outstanding scholarship.

For more information about James Horrocks, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Horrocks

John Camm, 1771-1777

John Camm, at the time the longest-serving faculty member, was elected by the board of visitors after the departure of James Horrocks. The tranquil relationship between the faculty and the board of visitors that marked the first two years of Camm’s presidency came to a halt with the Boston Tea Party of 1773. The onset of the American Revolution divided the college further. While most of the faculty remained loyal to England, the students favored the American cause. Student disorder began to increase with the appearance of swords and muskets on campus. A debate between the board of visitors, faculty, and local newspapers over academic standards and the curriculum emerged. As the last loyalist on the faculty, John Camm was removed from the presidency by the board of visitors in 1777 and fled to England.

For more information about John Camm, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/John_Camm

James Madison, 1777-1812

Elected as the first bishop of the Diocese of Virginia in 1790, Bishop James Madison divided his time between church and college affairs. Under Madison’s tenure, William & Mary slowly became more of a modern-day university, offering courses in the sciences, modern languages, and law while eliminating all divinity classes. Both the board of visitors and the faculty shared the responsibility for the curriculum of William & Mary. The college closed from 1780-1781 while the British occupied Williamsburg during the American Revolution. A high turnover rate in faculty, financial insolvency, and a decrease in the number of students all contributed to the fact that by the end of Madison’s presidency William & Mary was in a dire state of decline.

For more information about James Madison, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Madison

Faculty Minutes, 10 May 1763

This entry from the faculty minutes documents how a student, John Hyde Saunders, was expelled for impudent behavior towards his Grammar School master.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

Henley-Horrocks Inventory, 8 December 1772

Prior to 1772, most of the books in William & Mary’s library related to theology. This inventory of books, acquired for the college from the estate of James Horrocks, lists several titles related to mathematics and physics.

Samuel Henley Papers, UA 6.023

Faculty Minutes, 22 May 1770

This excerpt from the faculty minutes documents the confrontation between the faculty and the board of visitors over who has the final say regarding the appeals of degree candidates.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

John Camm, Williamsburg, Virginia concerning the death
of William & Mary Grammar School master Josiah Johnson,
16 June 1773

University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, UA 10

Photograph of Portrait of Bishop James Madison, undated
Artist Unknown

University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8
Original portrait is in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society

Notes on natural philosophy lectures of Bishop James Madison taken by John Croghan, 1807-1808

In addition to being president of the College of William & Mary, Madison also taught courses in natural philosophy, which included lessons in physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

University Archives Bound Volumes Collection, UA 15

From the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ for further information and assistance.

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Shown here is an image from the Presidents of the College of William & Mary exhibit series located on the third floor of Swem Library just outside the Brown Board Room. The exhibit provides a history of the College as seen through the eyes of its presidents. This exhibit case features the presidencies of William Yates, James Horrocks, John Camm, and Bishop James Madison, and will be on display from March 28, 2012 through October 2, 2012.

The following is taken from the label text presented in this case:

This exhibit is part of a continuing series about the presidents of the College of William & Mary. The items selected here are from the Special Collections Research Center. The Center’s University Archives contains records from a number of William & Mary presidents.

For more information about the Office of the President records in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/classifications&…

William Yates, 1760-1764

William Yates, an alumnus and former master of the Grammar School at the College of William & Mary, became its fifth president after the death of Thomas Dawson. During Yates’s tenure, the board of visitors tried and failed to limit the power of the church in college affairs by appointing laymen as chancellors. Yates started his presidency with only two faculty members, and the board desperately sought to hire faculty that would be loyal to their cause. Yates agreed with most of the board’s decisions, and when he died in 1764, the board lost a valuable ally in their quest to limit the influence of the clergy at William & Mary.

For more information about William Yates, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Yates

James Horrocks, 1764-1771

James Horrocks, the youngest member of the faculty and master of the Grammar School, became the sixth president of William & Mary upon the death of William Yates. During Horrocks’s early tenure, from 1764-1768, the struggle for control of the college between the faculty and the board of visitors continued. A delicate balance was eventually reached, with the faculty being able to retain their dual appointments as professors and clergy, while the board was left in control of the college’s finances. When Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt, arrived in 1768 as governor of Virginia, William & Mary finally achieved a harmonious relationship with the local government. Lord Botetourt helped to obtain funding for necessary repairs to campus buildings and provided an endowment for student achievement awards. Today, the Botetourt medal is awarded annually to an undergraduate student for outstanding scholarship.

For more information about James Horrocks, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Horrocks

John Camm, 1771-1777

John Camm, at the time the longest-serving faculty member, was elected by the board of visitors after the departure of James Horrocks. The tranquil relationship between the faculty and the board of visitors that marked the first two years of Camm’s presidency came to a halt with the Boston Tea Party of 1773. The onset of the American Revolution divided the college further. While most of the faculty remained loyal to England, the students favored the American cause. Student disorder began to increase with the appearance of swords and muskets on campus. A debate between the board of visitors, faculty, and local newspapers over academic standards and the curriculum emerged. As the last loyalist on the faculty, John Camm was removed from the presidency by the board of visitors in 1777 and fled to England.

For more information about John Camm, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/John_Camm

James Madison, 1777-1812

Elected as the first bishop of the Diocese of Virginia in 1790, Bishop James Madison divided his time between church and college affairs. Under Madison’s tenure, William & Mary slowly became more of a modern-day university, offering courses in the sciences, modern languages, and law while eliminating all divinity classes. Both the board of visitors and the faculty shared the responsibility for the curriculum of William & Mary. The college closed from 1780-1781 while the British occupied Williamsburg during the American Revolution. A high turnover rate in faculty, financial insolvency, and a decrease in the number of students all contributed to the fact that by the end of Madison’s presidency William & Mary was in a dire state of decline.

For more information about James Madison, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Madison

Faculty Minutes, 10 May 1763

This entry from the faculty minutes documents how a student, John Hyde Saunders, was expelled for impudent behavior towards his Grammar School master.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

Henley-Horrocks Inventory, 8 December 1772

Prior to 1772, most of the books in William & Mary’s library related to theology. This inventory of books, acquired for the college from the estate of James Horrocks, lists several titles related to mathematics and physics.

Samuel Henley Papers, UA 6.023

Faculty Minutes, 22 May 1770

This excerpt from the faculty minutes documents the confrontation between the faculty and the board of visitors over who has the final say regarding the appeals of degree candidates.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

John Camm, Williamsburg, Virginia concerning the death
of William & Mary Grammar School master Josiah Johnson,
16 June 1773

University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, UA 10

Photograph of Portrait of Bishop James Madison, undated
Artist Unknown

University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8
Original portrait is in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society

Notes on natural philosophy lectures of Bishop James Madison taken by John Croghan, 1807-1808

In addition to being president of the College of William & Mary, Madison also taught courses in natural philosophy, which included lessons in physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

University Archives Bound Volumes Collection, UA 15

From the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ for further information and assistance.

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, April 2012
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Shown here is an image from the Presidents of the College of William & Mary exhibit series located on the third floor of Swem Library just outside the Brown Board Room. The exhibit provides a history of the College as seen through the eyes of its presidents. This exhibit case features the presidencies of William Yates, James Horrocks, John Camm, and Bishop James Madison, and will be on display from March 28, 2012 through October 2, 2012.

The following is taken from the label text presented in this case:

This exhibit is part of a continuing series about the presidents of the College of William & Mary. The items selected here are from the Special Collections Research Center. The Center’s University Archives contains records from a number of William & Mary presidents.

For more information about the Office of the President records in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/classifications&…

William Yates, 1760-1764

William Yates, an alumnus and former master of the Grammar School at the College of William & Mary, became its fifth president after the death of Thomas Dawson. During Yates’s tenure, the board of visitors tried and failed to limit the power of the church in college affairs by appointing laymen as chancellors. Yates started his presidency with only two faculty members, and the board desperately sought to hire faculty that would be loyal to their cause. Yates agreed with most of the board’s decisions, and when he died in 1764, the board lost a valuable ally in their quest to limit the influence of the clergy at William & Mary.

For more information about William Yates, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Yates

James Horrocks, 1764-1771

James Horrocks, the youngest member of the faculty and master of the Grammar School, became the sixth president of William & Mary upon the death of William Yates. During Horrocks’s early tenure, from 1764-1768, the struggle for control of the college between the faculty and the board of visitors continued. A delicate balance was eventually reached, with the faculty being able to retain their dual appointments as professors and clergy, while the board was left in control of the college’s finances. When Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt, arrived in 1768 as governor of Virginia, William & Mary finally achieved a harmonious relationship with the local government. Lord Botetourt helped to obtain funding for necessary repairs to campus buildings and provided an endowment for student achievement awards. Today, the Botetourt medal is awarded annually to an undergraduate student for outstanding scholarship.

For more information about James Horrocks, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Horrocks

John Camm, 1771-1777

John Camm, at the time the longest-serving faculty member, was elected by the board of visitors after the departure of James Horrocks. The tranquil relationship between the faculty and the board of visitors that marked the first two years of Camm’s presidency came to a halt with the Boston Tea Party of 1773. The onset of the American Revolution divided the college further. While most of the faculty remained loyal to England, the students favored the American cause. Student disorder began to increase with the appearance of swords and muskets on campus. A debate between the board of visitors, faculty, and local newspapers over academic standards and the curriculum emerged. As the last loyalist on the faculty, John Camm was removed from the presidency by the board of visitors in 1777 and fled to England.

For more information about John Camm, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/John_Camm

James Madison, 1777-1812

Elected as the first bishop of the Diocese of Virginia in 1790, Bishop James Madison divided his time between church and college affairs. Under Madison’s tenure, William & Mary slowly became more of a modern-day university, offering courses in the sciences, modern languages, and law while eliminating all divinity classes. Both the board of visitors and the faculty shared the responsibility for the curriculum of William & Mary. The college closed from 1780-1781 while the British occupied Williamsburg during the American Revolution. A high turnover rate in faculty, financial insolvency, and a decrease in the number of students all contributed to the fact that by the end of Madison’s presidency William & Mary was in a dire state of decline.

For more information about James Madison, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Madison

Faculty Minutes, 10 May 1763

This entry from the faculty minutes documents how a student, John Hyde Saunders, was expelled for impudent behavior towards his Grammar School master.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

Henley-Horrocks Inventory, 8 December 1772

Prior to 1772, most of the books in William & Mary’s library related to theology. This inventory of books, acquired for the college from the estate of James Horrocks, lists several titles related to mathematics and physics.

Samuel Henley Papers, UA 6.023

Faculty Minutes, 22 May 1770

This excerpt from the faculty minutes documents the confrontation between the faculty and the board of visitors over who has the final say regarding the appeals of degree candidates.

Faculty Assembly Records, UA 133

John Camm, Williamsburg, Virginia concerning the death
of William & Mary Grammar School master Josiah Johnson,
16 June 1773

University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, UA 10

Photograph of Portrait of Bishop James Madison, undated
Artist Unknown

University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8
Original portrait is in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society

Notes on natural philosophy lectures of Bishop James Madison taken by John Croghan, 1807-1808

In addition to being president of the College of William & Mary, Madison also taught courses in natural philosophy, which included lessons in physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

University Archives Bound Volumes Collection, UA 15

From the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ for further information and assistance.

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, October 2011

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, October 2011
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Shown here is an image from the Presidents of the College of William & Mary exhibit series located on the third floor of Swem Library just outside the Brown Board Room. The exhibit provides a history of the College as seen through the eyes of its presidents. This exhibit case features the presidencies of James Blair, William Dawson, William Stith, and Thomas Dawson and will be on display from October 13, 2011 through April 20, 2012.

The following is taken from the label text presented in this case:

This exhibit is part of a continuing series about the presidents of the College of William & Mary. The items selected here are from the Special Collections Research Center. The Center’s University Archives contains records from a number of William & Mary presidents.

For more information about the Office of the President records in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/classifications&…

James Blair, 1693-1743

As the first president of the College of William & Mary, James Blair oversaw the reconstruction of the Wren Building after a fire in 1705; the transfer of the Charter from the founders to the president and masters of the College; the construction of the President’s House and the Brafferton; and the hiring of capable members of the faculty. Blair was head of the Church of England in Virginia; rector of Henrico, Jamestown, and Bruton Parish churches; as well as a member and president of the Virginia Governor’s Council. These positions made Blair one of the most powerful men in the colony, resulting in periodic clashes over power between him and three royal governors: Sir Edmund Andros, Sir Francis Nicholson, and Alexander Spotswood.

For more information about James Blair, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Blair

James Hargrove. James Blair, 1705 Reproduction of Oil Painting , University Archives Photograph Collection (UA 8).

James Blair Our Saviour’s Divine Sermon on the Mount London, 1740, Rare Books: BT 380.B55 1740 V. 1

William Dawson, 1743-1752

Educated at Queen’s College, Oxford, William Dawson came to the College of William & Mary in 1729 as master of moral and intellectual philosophy. After the death of James Blair in 1743, Dawson became the second president of William & Mary and inherited all of Blair’s appointments apart from rector of Bruton Parish. During his tenure as president, Dawson maintained a harmonious relationship with the royal government and the faculty of the College.

For more information about William Dawson, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Dawson

Surveyor’s License of John West, Jr., 1749. William Dawson signed this surveyor’s license on behalf of the College of William & Mary. University Archives Subject File Collection, UA 9

A letter from the Rev. Mr. Dawson, Commisary to the Lord Bishop of London, and President of William and Mary College, to the clergy of Virginia in America London, 1745. Rare Books: E97.D3

William Stith, 1752-1755

William Stith, third president of the College of William & Mary, attended the Grammar School around 1720 and then returned to Williamsburg as master of the grammar school from 1731-1732. When William Dawson died in 1752, there was a bitter fight between provincial leaders and Governor Robert Dinwiddie as to who would be the next president. In the end, the provincial leaders’ candidate, William Stith, was elected president. As a result, William & Mary’s faculty and the Board of Visitors became embroiled in a power struggle over the governance of the College that would last until the American Revolution.

For more information about William Stith, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Stith

William Stith Deed, 1738. In this deed, William Stith gave two lots in the city of Williamsburg to the College of William & Mary. University Archives Subject File Collection, UA 9

Marcus Minucius Felix M. Minucii Felicis Octavius cum integris observationibus Nic. Rigaltii, et selectis aliorum. Recensuit, suasque notas adjecit Joannes Davisius. Praemittitur Franc. Balduini Dissertatio, rerumque & Latinitatis Indices subnectuntur London, 1707. Stith’s signature and bookplate appear on the inside cover of this volume. Rare Books: BT1116 .M6 1707

Thomas Dawson, 1755-1760

The presidency of Thomas Dawson, a 1737 graduate and brother of William Dawson, was filled with controversy as the conflict between the faculty and the Board of Visitors continued to grow. During the fourth president’s tenure, the faculty and the local government disputed over the right to try clergy as well as over the Two Penny Act in 1758, which lowered salaries for clergy by two-thirds. In addition, the Board of Visitors and the faculty clashed over who had the authority to expel students and dismiss members of the faculty. In the end, Thomas Dawson’s presidency was ineffective in repairing those rifts.

For more information about Thomas Dawson, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Thomas_Dawson

Thomas Dawson, Williamsburg, Virginia to Lady Gooch, widow of Sir William Gooch, Governor of Virginia (1727-1749) January 1758 William and Thomas Dawson Papers, Mss. 65 Pst D32

From the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ for further information and assistance.

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, October 2011

Presidents of the College of William & Mary Exhibit, October 2011
Colleges In Virginia
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Shown here is an image from the Presidents of the College of William & Mary exhibit series located on the third floor of Swem Library just outside the Brown Board Room. The exhibit provides a history of the College as seen through the eyes of its presidents. This exhibit case features the presidencies of James Blair, William Dawson, William Stith, and Thomas Dawson and will be on display from October 13, 2011 through April 20, 2012.

The following is taken from the label text presented in this case:

This exhibit is part of a continuing series about the presidents of the College of William & Mary. The items selected here are from the Special Collections Research Center. The Center’s University Archives contains records from a number of William & Mary presidents.

For more information about the Office of the President records in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/classifications&…

James Blair, 1693-1743

As the first president of the College of William & Mary, James Blair oversaw the reconstruction of the Wren Building after a fire in 1705; the transfer of the Charter from the founders to the president and masters of the College; the construction of the President’s House and the Brafferton; and the hiring of capable members of the faculty. Blair was head of the Church of England in Virginia; rector of Henrico, Jamestown, and Bruton Parish churches; as well as a member and president of the Virginia Governor’s Council. These positions made Blair one of the most powerful men in the colony, resulting in periodic clashes over power between him and three royal governors: Sir Edmund Andros, Sir Francis Nicholson, and Alexander Spotswood.

For more information about James Blair, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/James_Blair

James Hargrove. James Blair, 1705 Reproduction of Oil Painting , University Archives Photograph Collection (UA 8).

James Blair Our Saviour’s Divine Sermon on the Mount London, 1740, Rare Books: BT 380.B55 1740 V. 1

William Dawson, 1743-1752

Educated at Queen’s College, Oxford, William Dawson came to the College of William & Mary in 1729 as master of moral and intellectual philosophy. After the death of James Blair in 1743, Dawson became the second president of William & Mary and inherited all of Blair’s appointments apart from rector of Bruton Parish. During his tenure as president, Dawson maintained a harmonious relationship with the royal government and the faculty of the College.

For more information about William Dawson, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Dawson

Surveyor’s License of John West, Jr., 1749. William Dawson signed this surveyor’s license on behalf of the College of William & Mary. University Archives Subject File Collection, UA 9

A letter from the Rev. Mr. Dawson, Commisary to the Lord Bishop of London, and President of William and Mary College, to the clergy of Virginia in America London, 1745. Rare Books: E97.D3

William Stith, 1752-1755

William Stith, third president of the College of William & Mary, attended the Grammar School around 1720 and then returned to Williamsburg as master of the grammar school from 1731-1732. When William Dawson died in 1752, there was a bitter fight between provincial leaders and Governor Robert Dinwiddie as to who would be the next president. In the end, the provincial leaders’ candidate, William Stith, was elected president. As a result, William & Mary’s faculty and the Board of Visitors became embroiled in a power struggle over the governance of the College that would last until the American Revolution.

For more information about William Stith, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/William_Stith

William Stith Deed, 1738. In this deed, William Stith gave two lots in the city of Williamsburg to the College of William & Mary. University Archives Subject File Collection, UA 9

Marcus Minucius Felix M. Minucii Felicis Octavius cum integris observationibus Nic. Rigaltii, et selectis aliorum. Recensuit, suasque notas adjecit Joannes Davisius. Praemittitur Franc. Balduini Dissertatio, rerumque & Latinitatis Indices subnectuntur London, 1707. Stith’s signature and bookplate appear on the inside cover of this volume. Rare Books: BT1116 .M6 1707

Thomas Dawson, 1755-1760

The presidency of Thomas Dawson, a 1737 graduate and brother of William Dawson, was filled with controversy as the conflict between the faculty and the Board of Visitors continued to grow. During the fourth president’s tenure, the faculty and the local government disputed over the right to try clergy as well as over the Two Penny Act in 1758, which lowered salaries for clergy by two-thirds. In addition, the Board of Visitors and the faculty clashed over who had the authority to expel students and dismiss members of the faculty. In the end, Thomas Dawson’s presidency was ineffective in repairing those rifts.

For more information about Thomas Dawson, please visit scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Thomas_Dawson

Thomas Dawson, Williamsburg, Virginia to Lady Gooch, widow of Sir William Gooch, Governor of Virginia (1727-1749) January 1758 William and Thomas Dawson Papers, Mss. 65 Pst D32

From the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ for further information and assistance.